The Plaquemines Parish Council, in accordance with LA RS 18.51 et seq., is seeking applications for persons interested in being appointed to the soon to be vacant position of Registrar of Voters for the Parish of Plaquemines.
Pursuant to LA RS 18:52:
- Each applicant to fill the office of registrar of voters shall be registered to vote. If appointed to fill the office of registrar of voters, the applicant shall become a resident and registered voter of the parish in which he is to perform his duties prior to taking the oath of office. The registrar shall remain a resident and qualified voter of the parish in which he is to perform his duties.
- (1) The registrar shall possess at least one of the following at the time of appointment:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution and two years of full-time professional work experience.
- An associate degree from an accredited institution and four years of full-time professional work experience.
- Seven years of full-time, professional work experience.
- Five years of full-time employment in a registrar’s office in Louisiana.
(2) For purposes of this Subsection, “professional work experience” means experience in an occupation which requires specialized and theoretical knowledge usually acquired through college training or through work experience and other training which provides comparable knowledge.
Some of the duties of the Registrar include: maintaining voter registration information with regard to names, addresses and party affiliations; communicating acceptances of changes to voters; conducting annual electioneers of voters; training elections officials on their duties and responsibilities prior to each election; and implementing new elections laws as adopted by the Legislature or Congress.
Interested parties can obtain an application on the Plaquemines Parish Website under the Civil Service Department page. You may print or download the application; however, it must be turned in to the Plaquemines Parish Council Secretary’s Office only via U.S. Mail to 333 F. Edward Hebert Blvd., Bldg. 203, Belle Chasse, LA 70037 or via email to Council@ppgov.net.
The deadline to submit an application is Tuesday, December 13, 2022. The deadline is set in accordance with LA RS 18:51.1 and cannot be extended.