September 14, 2020 6:05 PM
Tropical Update- Hurricane Sally 6PM, Monday, September 14th
Tropical Storm Update
Changes from previous update:
· Sally is now a Category 2 Hurricane
· It is expected to remain at category 2 intensity through landfall.
· Impacts are shifting more towards MS impacts and fewer impacts for SE LA
Hurricane Sally is forecast to move generally west-northwestward through today and slow down as it approaches the mouth of the MS River, then slowly turn more northerly early Tuesday. Where Sally eventually slows and turns north will be a big factor in impacts for the region.
· Plaquemines Parish Evacuation Shelter at the Plaquemines Parish Government Pavilion open
· Mandatory Evacuation will be ordered for the following areas: the entire East Bank of Plaquemines Parish and Mandatory Evacuation will be ordered for the West Bank of Plaquemines Parish from Phillips 66 Alliance Refinery to Venice.
· Voluntary Evacuation from the community of Oakville to Phillips 66 Alliance Refinery
· In coordination with the Plaquemines Parish Government, Sheriff Gerald A. Turlich, Jr. announces a nightly curfew will go into effect as of today, September 14, 2020, from sunset until sunrise in the areas under a mandatory evacuation in anticipation of Tropical Storm Sally.
· This curfew will remain in effect until the mandatory evacuation has been lifted.
· Residents can fill their sandbags at the following locations:
o Plaquemines Parish Government Complex, PROWM Building
o Port Sulphur YMCA
o Buras YMCA
o Across from Boothville Venice Elementary
o Davant Community Center
o Braithwaite Auditorium
· 9-1-1 is for life-threatening emergencies only
Hwy 23 Oakville Floodgate at Capt. Larry’s
Be advised the Hwy 23 Northbound Gate @ Capt. Larry’s in Oakville will be closed instead of the Hwy 23 Southbound Gate after consultation with State and Federal partners.
Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Office will be running two traffic in the southbound lanes.
Please use caution when traveling through this area. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Highway 39 Floodgate
Highway 39 Floodgate near the Plaquemines/St. Bernard Parish line: The Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East closed the Hwy 39 Floodgate in Braithwaite at 10 AM on Monday, September 14, 2020.
Empire Swing-Bridge is closed to vehicle traffic, the alternate route is the Empire High-rise Bridge (Hwy 23).
Belle Chasse/Scarsdale Ferry Traffic Notification:
The ferry located in the Belle Chasse/Scarsdale area will not go into service tomorrow, Tuesday, September 15th.
The ferry will operate as normal tonight- weather permitting.
Tomorrow's Ferry Operation will depend on weather conditions.